Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Getting there

With a few months to go we have firmed up on a few things...

Hair trial and make-up trials have been booked for the end of February.

We have met with the Registrar and now are officially Licenced To Wed.

Introduced sets of parents to the celebrant.

Far-away family members have booked flights.

We are running through some pre-marriage stuff soon, it's so funny the questions they ask. I must say, it took The Handsome One a while to figure out how to answer some of the more relationshippy questions. I had read them ages ago and had time to think about all the areas covered, so when it came to answering I was a bit more ok with things. I think the experience will bring us closer - it has happened to other couples we know so I'm sure it'll happen to us too. Makes sense; if the experience so far is anything to go by ;)

We have been to see the venue to ask them All The Questions. I got a big list of What To Ask from a good friend who got hitched last year. I think it must be like the beacon of the B2B - when it's another friend's turn I will pass the torch. We had to give the venue a bit of an ass-kicking actually. We're fairly laid back people but they gave us some thunderingly bad customer service before Christmas and hadn't improved since. No deposit receipt, no copy of the contract sent... There were other details but I won't go into them. Hence our need to visit! The Handsome One - who is usually wonderfully reserved - calmly sat them down and told them he hoped that would be the end of the poor service. I was so chuffed when he did that, I had packed my angry eyes going in there and just had to sit and watch him be the man. What a guy...

Have since heard that our back-up venue (I'm a nerd, I have to have a plan B!) is in financial difficulty so I really fricking hope we're not going to have to pop a marquee in St Stephen's Green for the shindig!

In other news... The photographer and car bits are researched and booked, the music is 90% booked for the whole day and now my next hurdle is the invitations.

Picking the stationary is the easy bit here folks, it's what to write on the damn thing that's causing the hiccoughs. See, we ain't sure about the setup for the day. We have an idea what we'd like but there's nobody to guide us on this. So we're hesitant to make a wrong turn here. We'll figure it out of course, it's not rocket science. It's just a little more difficult that I would have expected. Hurrumph.

I'm looking forward to choosing the cake. I like cake.

4 comments:

  1. sounds like you're on the ball. we're marrying at the end of july and we've next to nothing sorted... i'm not panicking yet, but give it a week.

    any chance of you posting the list of What to Ask? sounds like it might be a useful one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure thing! Will find it and pop it in a whole post of its own... Was chatting to the pal who gave it to me, she said Weddings Online was a great place to find these sort of tips.

    I had no idea you guys were getting married! WOOHOO!!! How did I miss this?! I'm insane.

    Congrats guys, whoop. Going to find the inevitable blogposts which have clearly escaped my attention and find out a little bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rosie - new post up with the list

    ReplyDelete
  4. i saw (and copied and pasted). thanks! we went to see the venue on monday and thankfully himself loved it (he'd just taken my word on it, a brave fella in more ways than one).

    ReplyDelete