Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Got engaged

The Handsome One got down on one knee some time before Christmas and asked that question, making me glow and twinkle like I don't know what. We kept our little secret for some time, unable to stop smiling and just generally enjoyed the thrills. Went shopping one day and after a few visits around our fair city found the perfect ring, then went to inform our parental units. Joy, tears and bubbles all 'round. Cue telephone ringing off the hook, messages flooding in from overseas and down the road. Everyone we know has been so kind and generous, we didn't expect quite so many people to be so delighted for us. It's a humbling experience.

The last few weeks have passed in a sort of blur. It's like the circus has come to town only I'm hovering above it all on the trapeze wire, wondering what all the fuss is about. The Handsome One is there too, on the opposite wire, smiling away. He is just happy to be engaged. So am I! I think that's exactly it. I love being engaged and very much look forward to being married, spending my life with such a Handsome One, getting lots of laughter lines. It's the bit in between that's causing my heart to race - and not in a good way.


I have received crazy wedding tips from virtual strangers, been overwhelmed by people's reactions and overloaded with guidebooks on how to be a bride and all the whistles, bells and general fluff that goes with it. It's nice to see so many girls all excited about their big days, I just can't help feeling like a complete tool because I'm not going off the deep end about one day in my life. The focus seems to be totally on the bride here, when I thought I just committed to sharing my life with another being. Ironically, I'm usually bouncing off walls 'n' things, people generally think I'm nuts and here I am being totally removed from princess-madness. Hhmmm.
I have found some great websites that are far more useful than the crazy books I've been leafing through. Ciara over at weddingdates.ie seems reasonably sane ;) Plus, the tips over at wed.ie are far more practical than the "don't ask someone to be your bridesmaid if they've slept with your groom" advice. Ugh.

I decided to start a blog dedicated to recording the experience of being a person who did not inherit a wedding gene. I'm not even fond of the phrase "bride-to-be" which for me conjures up connotations of grand stress. So I might just call it B2b for the craic. Maybe. I think Genie might be better. Simply because I fear a little magic will be required to get through all the fuss!

Pic from wed.ie

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations MJ! That's lovely news.

    And best of luck with the new blog ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Hopefully this one is more focussed ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats MJ. I think you have the right attitidue. No-one likes a bridzilla. The thing to be excited about is spending your life with the person you love rather than use all your focus on planning one day.

    I have friends who have been amrried in the past year or so and they say that the come down after the "big day" can be terrible. So keep your head and lots of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lottie, my thoughts exactly. I was reading in one of those "guides" (on how to be a bridezilla, it should read) and it described it as "post-nuptial depression" which I think should be listed as a mortler ;) Sad when your brand new marriage is just beginning, hhmmm. I'm sceptical!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi MJ, Thanks for the sane comment ;) Hopefully, we'll meet soon and i can prove you right! :P
    Congratulations on your exciting news and enjoy the time you get to spend planning the day. You don't have to get sucked into the 'wedding machine', just take a deep breath, be true to yourself (and your fiancee!) and throw a great party!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jaysus if we'd had to bar anyone we'd ever slept with from our wedding party I'm not sure we could have got enough people together to bother in the first place!

    Seriously, ask who you want and bugger the "how to" guides. My husband's best man was a woman (in a tux) and everyone thought it was adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Ciara & Sabrina, welcome & thank you for your comments! I love the lady in a tux idea! Many of my mates are fellars so the hen (not that I want one, I've been informed that I am just getting one) will have blokes in drag, probably...

    ReplyDelete